Thursday 15 June 2017

Book Review- Learn to crochet



This book was my very first crocheting book. My Mum bought it for me once I had mastered the basics of chaining, slip stitch and double crochet.
The books primary aim is to teach the reader how to crochet with a set of simple and clear diagrams. I found that although the diagrams helped, I did need the assistance of a few YouTube videos on occasion. As a result I feel that the book would have better achieved it's aim by coming with a DVD that had video tutorials that accompanied the diagrams. However I was able to teach myself the finer details of crochet through this book and have referred to it many times since.
I have also lent this book to a friend who was learning to crochet about a year or so ago and again the book was greatly appreciated for it's quick over view of crocheting techniques and terminology.
I have personally successfully completed several projects in this book. The include: the striped cushion, scallop cushion, cotton afghan, wool afghan and hand towel edging.

Sally Harding has also written Crochet Step by Step, which has an average of 4.9/5 and 4.3/5 ratings on the book people and goodreads respectively.  This seems to be a much more detailed book, with it explaining 100 different techniques and stitches compared to Learn to Crochet, which only explains 20.  However having not read this book myself, I can't comment on whether the book better addresses the staticness (for want of a better word) of the diagrams.

No comments:

Post a Comment