Thursday 22 June 2017

Book Review- A Guide to Sewing

This was the very first sewing book I ever bought myself. I found it reduced at 'the works' and boy am I glad I did.
Although I originally bought it for it's projects, I actually found that the guides at the front where the most useful parts of the book. The book has a really detailed guide about types of fabric, types and sizes of needles and threads. As well as lots of hand drawn instructions on various had stitches. I think the aim of this book is to give a brief introduction to sewing for complete beginners but I think it goes well beyond that and gives beginners and wide range of information that comes in useful time and time again.
In terms of projects, I have successfully completed the infinity scarf, the coin purse, the Retro Cushion, the headscarf top, the pillow case dress and drawstring skirt.
I found that the project instructions lacked visual sources and relied far to heavily on text. Although the hand drawings that accompanied the instructions on occasion, where a pretty little touch in terms of the graphic appeal of the page, they did little to help explain the method being used.
Overall I'd recommend this book for beginners that want to get a deeper understanding of materials, threads and needles.

No comments:

Post a Comment