Friday 4 March 2016

The jumper dress

Hey guys! So today, I want to share with you a dress that I made for a photo shoot last weekend. The dress was super easy to make. In fact I made the dress I'm about to show you in one afternoon.
 I sourced the jumpers that I used from my local charity shop, so as to save money on the cost of the project and because it meant I would be using items that where already finished along the edges. This made the whole project a lot faster and made the final outcome look more professional.

If you'd like to make one for yourself, here's what you'l need:

  • A sewing machine
  • thread
  • 2 jumpers
  • 2 cardigans (or 1 if you skip the part where I replace the arms)

So with out further to do, let's get onto how I made the dress:

  1. Firstly I took the first cardigan and carefully removed the sleeves at the shoulder seam.
  2. I then removed the sleeves (at the shoulder seam) from the other cardigan.
  3. I then placed the sleeves of one cardigan on the other by simply reattaching the arms at the shoulders.
  4. Next I measured out the width of the cardigan (this includes both the front and back) and the divided the measurement by 4. This measurement will be the top width.
  5. Using this measurement as the top, I created trapezium like shapes from the two jumpers, making sure that I used the full width of the jumper at the bottom of the pattern piece. At this point don't forget to add seam allowance. 
  6. Then I cut out these trapeziums, which left me with 4 pieces to make the skirt from.
  7. I attached these pieces to each other, making a complete skirt.
  8. Finally I attached the skirt to the cardigan (when doing this, it's important that you make sure that the cardigan is buttoned closed)  

And there you have it, how to make a jumper dress. So as always,
 I hope this has inspired you!

No comments:

Post a Comment